`add -q`is not quiet as it should be

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Oct 3 02:44:53 BST 2007

On  2 Oct 2007, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> > But, I'm tired of that junk too.  Maybe we should just remove that
> > message?  The intention of transparency is good, but I'm not sure it
> > helps much.
>
> As a seasoned user, I don't find it very informative.  It doesn't say
> enough to be informative, because I always expect some files to be
> ignored.  We used to list the matched ignore rules, and I think that
> would be much more informative.  But possibly overkill.
>
> I don't know whether it's helpful for a new user, though.  I think it
> could be informative if they weren't expecting any files to be ignored.

It's also less necessary now that we have no builtin default ignore
list.  A new user running init, add now won't have anything ignored.

I propose that we
 - remove the message
 - add clear text to the help of add saying that it follows ignore
   rules and you can find out what happened by running bzr ignored

and maybe
 - make add -v show files that it ignored, as well as files that were
   added

--
Martin