Bazaar installed from source does not work under cygwin

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Sep 27 18:15:25 BST 2007

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> Nicholas Allen ?8H5B:
>>> You should install bzr on cygwin as well. Right now you have bzr
>>> installed only for windows python but not for cygwin python.
>> Shouldn't windows bzr be able to be run from Cygwin though? It is still
>> using the Windows python. Cygwin is just used to launch it - other than
>> that it doesn't do anything else. The windows python and bzr performs
>> much better than the cygwin one and so I would rather use the windows
>> one. However, the DOS prompt is the biggest joke ever so I would rather
>> use the Cygwin prompt.
>
> No, windows python works much worse inside cygwin, because it know
> nothing about emulation of posix system provided by cygwin.
> And absolute path mismatch is the top of iceberg.
>
> A while ago John Meinel said he used standalone bzr.exe for Cygwin.
> I think it's best solution for your problem.
>
> But I'm sure the right solution here: you need to install bzr on cygwin.

I actually use a Win32 install of bzr on cygwin and it generally works just
fine for me.

I actually use a small bzr.bat file that I put in my cygwin path with:
echo off
set BZR_PLUGIN_PATH=h:\dev\bzr\plugins
set RSYNC_IS_CYGWIN=1
C:\Python24\python H:\dev\bzr\bzr.dev\bzr %*

The RSYNC* portion doesn't matter (it was for my bzr-rsync plugin).

Certainly with this setup you can't do:
bzr status /cygdrive/d/....

As you are passing the cygwin path to a Win32 native command. However stuff like:

bzr status foo/bar
bzr diff foo/bar
etc

all work fine.

Oh, I guess I'm not sure what will happen if you need paths with spaces (bzr
status "my foo"). And you should be aware that Win32 doesn't recognize a single
quote (') as a quoting character. (bzr status 'foo bar' is passed in as "'foo",
"bar'", rather than "foo bar".)

You also lose the ability to change the mode of files (executable bit) but I've
never needed to do so. And Win32 native python was significantly faster than
running on top of cygwin. (I want to say 2x, but it has been a long time since
I tested it.)

I'm guessing you could do the same thing with the standalone bzr.exe, but I've
always run bzr from source.