spam on wiki take 2...

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Sep 25 10:21:31 BST 2007

Well, today I deleted 18 spams *from today*.

This is getting ridiculous.

How about locking the wiki with an ACL with the following settings:

 - any user of the wiki can add people to the ACL to edit the wiki
 - all pages that are currently 'any user can edit' become 'users in
this acl can edit' - and we set it as the default for new pages.

This will force spammers to get someone already in the wiki users group
to add them before they can edit pages, so after a few days where we
find out the existing spammers, we should be spammer free.

On the down side, rather than 'its a wiki, you can contribute', we will
have 'its a wiki, get any existing wiki user to authorise you by asking
on IRC/mailing list'. Which is a bit chilling on contribution, but
perhaps the nuisance value has got to this level.

-Rob