[MERGE][Bug #105432] how to create a working tree? add "create-tree" alias to "checkout"

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Sep 19 02:38:45 BST 2007

On 9/18/07, Andrew King <eurokang at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would put the alias in. Checkout has all those hangups that confuse
> new users, that makes it seem like there are 2 completely different
> workflows. What is a "checkout" anyway? The name tells you absolutely
> nothing about it creating a working tree. Doing a "checkout" on an
> existing branch seems nonsensical (when you are thinking of checkout
> in terms of svn).

I think we're agreed that saying 'checkout .' is not a very obvious
interface to make a working tree in a branch directory.  The question
is, is it enough to say 'reconfigure --tree', or do we also need a
specific 'create-tree' command?

That said the help for reconfigure could explain more what it means by
checkout, tree and branch.

--
Martin