Accessing a remote repository on a web server using ftp with user and password

Massimo Manca massimo.manca at micronengineering.it
Thu Sep 13 10:30:06 BST 2007

I have my company web pages hosted on a web server maintained by a
provider, I have also unlimited disk space so I would use some of it to
public our repositories. I am investigating to find a sw better then cvs
that may manage this situation. Actually I  would test Bazaar and Mercurial.

- I can access to the space using ftp (read/write) and http (read), I
haven't sftp, ssh, https, aftp available.

1. Is there a method that may work to access a remote repository using
ftp with user and password?
To use ftp user and password are given by the provider using this form:
user = 1234567 at provider.it password = 1234567

2. What is the correct bzr init command to create a repository using ftp
(if exists)?

3. We have 2 web spaces one on a windows IIS server and the other on a
Linux/Apache, so in the 2nd case we have the possibility to protect
every directory with an .htaccess file. Is it possible to use
user/password also at directory level?

The idea is to have remote bazaar repositories always available to every
developer outside the company building always accessible containing the
most updated sw releases.

Thanks.