SCM discussions in the GNOME community

Hendy Irawan hendy at rainbowpurple.com
Tue Sep 11 20:09:31 BST 2007

Andrew Cowie wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 18:16 +0700, Hendy Irawan wrote:
>

>> I've been having about Bazaar performance locally. But anytime I want to
>> "bzr push sftp://" it's NIGHTMARE.
>>

> Yeah. The round trip cost of twice per file is devastating when working
> transcontinental with one of the dumb protocols (http://, sftp://) -
> both on push and checkout, pull.
>
> So, don't use a dumb server.
>
> Since you've got ssh access to the target server, hopefully you can
> install Bazaar there. If you can, switch to pushing by using bzr+ssh://.
> This will run the "smart server" on the server side when you push and
> use the newer protocols over the wire. It's been improving steadily over
> the last 3-4 releases and is enormously better than sftp://.
>
> There is likewise something to be said for running their server program
> as a daemon server-side and publishing bzr:// as the URL to your
> branches [you can, in theory, arrange http:// to do this transparently
> if you've got good mod_python foo, although I haven't succeeded at this
> yet myself]

Ah... Great suggestion :)

So, I'd push to my server first, then Launchpad will mirror it...... :)
I think that will work...... for now.

I'm actually not very fond of hosting this in my own server. It's a
(supposed to be) community project anyway.

I wonder why Launchpad doesn't provide a smart server as default...... :-(

At least now I know a workaround. I'll try to cope with it now, and if
someday I notice it's getting slow as hell, I can switch to the more
"complicated", smart server solution. That way I can sleep well. :-)

Hopefully at that time, Bazaar will already have a better algorithm for
dealing with dumb servers. :)

>> What I think is that the PR is somewhat misguided
>>

> Make sure you use the latest (ie, >= 0.90) version of Bazaar; otherwise
> the whole conversation is moot. The developers have been making huge
> strides forward and there is little point in not taking advantage of it.
> [ie, forget the usual Debian-esque tendency to think that somehow a year
> old release is somehow more stable than the latest one]

Yep I do use 0.90. Also with bzr-svn 0.42, but I guess that one isn't
relevant.

A note is that bzr-svn imports my Subversion repositories really fast,
And when it works it just works(tm).

SuperKudos to Jelmer Vernooij for that one :)
> Finally (and admittedly this is a hard sell from the standpoint of the
> massive PR problem Bazaar has), but a lot of their earlier work was
> focused on performance and correctness during operations like merging.
> This isn't the first impression people get of Bazaar, unfortunately, but
> it makes a big difference once you're underway and managing a growing
> project. It works, it works right, and it works fast.

OH YES INDEED!!

I've bitten by SVK a few times by this actually........ When a merge got
wrong I can pissed as hell. And even more if it didn't warn me about it
at all.

SVK had troubles with me regarding line-endings in Windows-Linux. It
probably because I didn't set the proper line endings SVN properties.
But seriously, in nowadays you can't ever be sure which OS you're gonna
be using, or the people who contribute, so the tools needs be a little
wee bit smarter about it.

I'm not sure how Bazaar handles line-endings now, when working with
people in different operating systems.. and will happen if someone tries
to merge a file when the line endings are different.... Hopefully you
guys have figured this out long ago...
> AfC
> Sydney

After scouring the net, I once thought this was "Agenda for Change" to
"Automatic Frequency Control" to... Andrew Frederick Cowie.
I guess the last one is the real one. =))

--
Hendy Irawan
www.hendyirawan.com