best format for network + Launchpad SFTP?

Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Tue Sep 11 20:01:20 BST 2007

* Hendy Irawan [Wed, 12 Sep 2007 01:47:03 +0700]:

> Hi,

Hello Hendy.

> What is the best branch format in bzr 0.90 for Launchpad and SFTP
> operations?

> The man seems to imply that dirstate-tags is the best format. So I upgraded
> it then do a bzr push... However, it says that there's no revisions to
> push.

> If so, how do I make sure that the Launchpad branch is using the new format
> ? Is push --overwrite good for this? Or I have to recreate the branch from
> scratch?

> And most importantly, will dirstate-tags help the network performance?
> Thank you.

You upgrade a remote branch by passing the remote address directly to
upgrade, like this:

  % bzr upgrade --dirstate-tags sftp://bazaar.launchpad.net/~user/project/branch

As for network performance, all current formats use the same repository
backend (knits), so as I understand it their performance will be similar.
Said that, dirstate-tags still means a (small?) improvement because of
the way the list of revisions is stored (only a pointer to the tip is
kept, instead of a full list of revisions).

The real improvement will come with the new pack-based repository format,
which is work in progress.

HTH,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

                         Listening to: Javier Krahe - Zozobras completas