SSH banner output

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Sep 11 03:07:34 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 11:53 +1000, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The SSH authentication protocol[1] allows SSH servers to send banner
> messages during the authentication process. SSH servers can use these
> to communicate legal notices and so forth. Launchpad uses the banner
> to provide hints for when a user's authentication fails, and to send
> motd-style notices (e.g. "This is the staging server. Your data will
> be lost. Have a nice day.")
>
> Currently, when Bazaar connects to a server that sends an SSH banner,
> it prints it to stderr. (Actually, I think that Bazaar doesn't
> explicitly do this, it's just what paramiko / openssh do.)
>
> This is ok for command line clients, but not so good for GUI clients.
> They'll need to explicitly catch and display this output. Do clients
> like TortoiseBzr do this already?
>
> Sending this to the list because it's a bit too vague to be a bug yet.
> Mostly I want to raise this issue for discussion.

What about http? ftp? or even nfs? HTTP has a Warning header, but I'm
not sure all protocols have such things.

I wonder if a better approach is to have a motd file in .bzr/repository
and clients can query that. Servers could deliver a custom file by
symlinking them together, or doing url mapping etc - and the hpss would
trivially be able to intercept it.
-Rob