Interesting article on git

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 17:34:14 BST 2007

Just saw this reference on the Mercurial list:

http://lwn.net/Articles/246381/

There are a couple of nice features mentioned here, notably the idea
of submodules and "shallow clones".

Shallow clones in particular seem neat to me - a full bzr branch of
the Python tree takes about 40 minutes for me, where a svn co takes 3
minutes! I know this is because svn doesn't copy the history, but
honestly, I'm not really interested in commit logs from 3 years ago,
so a shallow copy containing a couple of weeks of history would be
fine for me (and probably a *lot* faster).

Paul.