[MERGE][Take Five] Show the diff in the commit messages

Goffredo Baroncelli kreijack at tiscalinet.it
Fri Aug 24 17:54:05 BST 2007

On Friday 24 August 2007, you (Martin Pool) wrote:
> I've addressed these and will send it in.  Thanks Goffredo, Aaron.
>
> > ^^^ It is nicer to make 'utf-8' the default parameter, instead of None.
(unless you need to distinguish between a caller-supplied 'utf-8' and the
default 'utf-8')

> In general, I think accepting None as unspecified can be good, so that
> callers can explicitly ask for the default without knowing what it is.
>  That can make it easier to write wrapper functions and so on.  In
> this case I don't have a strong opinion either way.

Aaron is right. In this case, because the default (when None is passed) is a
constant ('utf8') is more clear and simpler to set the value in the function
definition.

Goffredo

--
gpg key@ keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli (ghigo) <kreijack at inwind.it>
Key fingerprint = CE3C 7E01 6782 30A3 5B87  87C0 BB86 505C 6B2A CFF9