0.18: checking removes files automatically?

Andrew King eurokang at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 03:22:39 BST 2007

On 8/21/07, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Andrew King wrote:
> > Ok. So, should I file a feature request on launchpad?
>
> I think it would be more effective to write some code.  Plenty of people
> have said they want this, but no one's actually done it.
>
> > Just for further evidence, a question from someone else this morning:
> >
> > "In bzr is there anyway to find the log message for a newly added file
> > before commiting?
> >
> > I've just done a merge, and have noticed a few new files added (to the
> > xxxxx dir), and I wanted to make sure those files are supposed to be
> > there, but I can't find a log message to confirm this. I'm fairly sure
> > someone has legitimately added those files, but I wanted to be 100%
> > sure before committing."
>
> I don't really understand what this proves.  The user did a merge, it
> added files, and he doesn't know whether they're supposed to be there?
> Or you're saying he thinks his colleague may have inadvertently added them?

He doesn't know if he added them inadvertently or they are being added
in the merge. I guess he (and me) are getting a bit confused. He
obviously thinks it is possible for bzr to add files without him
explicitly adding them (which makes sense, because he knows bzr can
remove files without him explicitly removing them).

> > IMHO, we are making people do more work by automatically
> > adding
>
> Automatically adding how?  By recursing when users type "bzr add"?

yep, this was my confusion once again, but it is strange that add and
remove behaviour are different. (files aren't added by bzr unless bzr
add is typed, but files are removed even when bzr rm is not typed).
One could of course argue that they are not the same, because bzr can
know which files it is managing.

> > /removing than is saved by actually just typing bzr add, bzr rm.
>
> > ps. I don't want to sound like I am complaining, just want to make a
> > great vcs better!
>
> Making a request like this isn't going to make Bazaar better.  It's been
> discussed half a dozen times already.  The problem is that no one has
> actually done it yet.

Ok. For what its worth, I had searched the bug database for a bug on
this, but couldn't find one. I will get off the list now and leave you
guys to it. If and when I get a chance,I will try and implement it
myself. I was trying to be helpful, given that I have access to real
world scenarios that possibly other people don't.