[MERGE] New option --author for commit

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Aug 15 15:44:32 BST 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> John Arbash Meinel has voted tweak.
>> Status is now: Conditionally approved
>> Comment:
>> I'm not sure you should remove the test entirely.Instead "assert author
>> not in revprops" you could:
>
>> if author in revprops:
>>   raise AssertionError()
>
>> which will always be raised.
>
> Well, it seems a long way to go for a programming error.  So I was fine
> with an assert.  Really, if we can't use assert for programming errors,
> we shouldn't use them at all.

Well, I wasn't quite sure if this was a simple programming error. But I
can agree that for simple programmer errors (using an API incorrectly)
we should be able to just assert foo == bar, message. I think we always
need 'message', because otherwise we just get "an assertion was
triggered at line X". And it is often unclear why that assertion is even
there.

>> The only other question is whether the Author should be displayed in
>> short logs, rather than the committer.
>
> I vote yes.  I'm forever crediting people in my commit messages so that
> they'll appear in logs.
>
>> If we change the pqm to use
>> --author as the person requesting the submission (since they, in effect,
>> authored the merge commit), it would make 'bzr log --short bzr.dev' a
>> bit more interesting. Though really the primary author should be the
>> person who does the patch, and then we would have submitter. (Either way
>> makes bzr log --short more interesting for bzr.dev.)
>
> Most PQM commits credit the author.  I think PQM should use --author,
> but should use the "apparent author" of the head revision being merged:
>  - "author" if present
>  - "committer" otherwise.
>
> Aaron

I agree on both of these counts.

So it sounds like we agree that Lukáš's code can be merged as is?