[merge][0.91] set default format to dirstate-tags

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Aug 14 21:35:25 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 16:05 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Robert Collins wrote:
> > Sounds to me like this should be on branch not on the format, because -
> > using the smart server as an example - its not an attribute of the
> > format, its an attribute of the instance.
>
> Until now, format has always referred to the disk format.  It would be a
> shame to lose that clarity.

Well, another way to make the code here work better is to do the test
case 'should I test tags' by roughly:
 branch = self.make_branch()
 if not branch._format.supports_tags():

The basic problem though is that format, which indeed represents disk
formats in the abstract has trouble talking about formats whose
capabilities vary by url to url.

Consider for instance a tree disk format which can do 'full unix
permissions'. On windows it might degrade to 'x bit only', but on unix
do user,group,write,execute etc.

I intended formats to be a factory for two things:
 - creating instances on disk and memory at the same time
 - opening existing instances from disk
and provide code-path detection for upgrades/downgrades

I think we have to stop using formats as a proxy for 'what the branch
object is capable of', because disk format is not the entire story - and
the smart server is just the easiest example to talk about and consider,
not the only example.

-Rob