Version numbering post 1.0

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Fri Aug 10 04:03:03 BST 2007

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:41:45PM +1000 I heard the voice of
Robert Collins, and lo! it spake thus:

> So I think:
> X.Y.Z where:
>  X is 0 for now, and 1 soon.
>  Y indicates how close to the next X we think we are, from 0-99.
>  Z indicates a bugfix only change for a given X.Y

FWIW, I hate that middle.  Deeply.  Discontinuities in digit N (aside
from those caused by (N-1)++ of course) feel like pure Play-Doh.
Leaving aside the futility of trying to predict the future in "how
close to next X", it always sounds like a desperate plea for
attention, rather than a demarcation of advancement.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net