[RFC] making TreeTransform more resistant to unexpected failures / writing problems

Andrew King eurokang at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 03:21:17 BST 2007

For everyone's information, I had this problem when using Visual
Studio 2005. It occurred a number of times ( > 3?). I can not be
entirely conclusive that it was due to Intellisense, although this
seemed like the most likely culprit.

We did have .suo, .sln and .csproj in .bzrignore.

However, I haven't had this happen since recently. In the meantime, we
have upgraded to Visual Studio 2005 SP1, and bzr is now 0.18. It is
possible that something else caused the lock (some mis-behaving other
editor, or a terminal, or something)?

I still think the bug is high importance, although I can understand a
lot of work might be necessary to fix it. A temporary "hack" would be
on windows to copy all modified files to a temporary place, do the
update, and if the error is detected, copy the files back and revert,
else delete.

Throwing away hours of someone's work is a good way to get people
hating your versioning system, even if it is because they are using
some flaky operating system :(

Cheers,
Andrew