bzr bundle > file

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 7 15:37:11 BST 2007

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>> Martin Pool wrote:
>>> On 8/3/07, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
>>> I think we really must restore the previous default of writing to
>>> stdout for bundle before releasing 19rc1.
>> Do you mean for "bundle"?  There is no such command anymore
>
> Isn't it a little drastic to just toss the command
> with no warning?

Not for this command.  If I could burn it, vivisect it, and desecrate
its mother's grave, I would.  Alas, I can only toss it.

> many people depend on it.

No functionality has been lost.

> Seems
> like the bugreports have suggested at least an
> alias, which preserves the old behavior

You want a particular old behavior.  I very much doubt you want the full
complement of its old behavior.  Especially considering that it would
now emit bundle format 4 without a merge-directive wrapper.

> (i.e.,
> writing to stdout by default so the subject line
> continues to work)

What I provided was "submit", which took similar parameters to "bundle",
but:

1. The output was a merge directive containing a bundle, not a raw bundle.
2. The -r specification worked correctly.
3. The -r specification did not affect the bundle, only the merge
directive and preview patch.
4. The target branch was no longer optional.
5. Options and arguments (public_branch, --no-bundle) pertaining to
merge directives were supported.

I was asked to change this to "send" and make -o mandatory.  I have done so.

Martin is now asking to revert to the old behavior.  I am trying to
understand *what* he wishes to revert to the old behavior.  Does he
propose resurrecting the original bundle command implementation in all
its glory?  Does he propose making -o optional for "send"?  Does he want
"send" and "bundle" to be the same function, invoked with different
parameters?

Aaron