bzr --version should also report plugin versions (bzrlib ...)

John Arbash Meinel john at
Mon Aug 6 15:12:24 BST 2007

Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Jari Aalto wrote:
>> Plugin versions in general. John suggested that all the info,
>> including bzrlib, would be moved to "bzr plugins". Somehow the version
>> number of all plugins should be required. That would help e.g. out of
>> date detections.
> I didn't read John's email as suggesting bzrlib's version should be
> returned by the plugins command, just the plugin versions. For backwards
> compatibility, I'm not sure we can insist of plugins having a version
> either, though we could output a warning if they don't.
> Ian C.

I didn't strictly suggest it. But it actually might be a reasonable idea
so it is easier to eyeball. (Oh, this is bzrlib 0.18, and bzrtools 0.17).

However, many plugins have a very different set of version numbers
(bzr-svn is at 0.4.x, bzr-gtk may or may not follow bzrlib version
numbers) Obviously some plugins do. bzr-svn has very strong reasons not
to, because it is declaring compatibility with itself, which is actually
quite important. I suppose Jelmer could do "0.3.XX.1" releases, where
"XX" indicates compatibility with that version of bzrlib. But since we
release a new bzrlib every month, that could get to be a real
maintenance nightmare.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -