0.18: Too verbose commit

Jari Aalto jari.aalto at cante.net
Thu Aug 2 16:05:26 BST 2007

* Thu 2007-08-02 John Arbash Meinel <john AT arbash-meinel.com>
> Jari Aalto wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> After upgrading to 0.18, the commit is, ahem, way too verbose. It
>> would be better if these messages appeared only with -v option.
>>
>> I'd normally expect clean and simple message:
>>
>>    $ bzr ci -m "- fixed ..."
>>    Committed revision 1.
>>    $
>>
>> That way I can still scroll the screen upward to see my previous
>> messages. With the above, I can't see (and use texts) from previous
>> shell prompts.
>>
>> Jari
>

> Well, to start with it looks like we don't believe you are on a TTY.
> So you are getting a 'dots' progress bar, rather than a standard
> TTYProgressBar. (...) So we should be using '\r' to clear the line.

That maight be it. I'm 95% of the cases running shell under Emacs
(remote ssh-connection and all that). So this effect gets severily
amplified.

> Also, I don't think you realize that there is a global '-q' option.
> Which does have specific effect for 'commit'.
>
> Unfortunately, because it is a "global" option, it doesn't show up in help
> output, and it can't be set in an alias. (One more reason to change how it is
> done).

Aw, I'd really like to set this in ~/.bazaar/bazaar.conf
And spacify it per command basis.

> If you are running in emacs, I think you can set
> BZR_PROGRESS_BAR=tty, or =none to use the '\r' one, or eliminate
> those lines.

Suggestion: it would be nice if bzr set this automatically. Emacs sets

    EMACS=t
    TERM=dumb

And newly release 22.x even defines in addition:

    INSIDE_EMACS=22.1.1,comint

under M-x shell, so bzr could check that.

Thanks,
Jari