Weekly(ish) 0.19 release update - ongoing development

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Aug 1 01:42:25 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 21:26 +0100, James Westby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is the weekly status update for the 0.19 release process. There
> wasn't one last week, but I will make them weekly from now on.
>
> Thanks to all who have contributed so far, there has been a lot of
> discussion and reviewing on the list which is good to see.
>
> I don't feel the need to bring the release forward at all, there is
> nothing that seems compelling enough that has landed so far, and it
> feels like there are some good changes hanging around the corner. I
> don't know if they will make this release, and some may be more suitable
> for merging at the start of a window, but it is exciting nevertheless.

I think this is misguided on two counts:
 - Aaron and John (to pick two names :)) have landed huge changes in
performance, doubling the speed of merge and making countless other
operations incrementally faster.
 - The *whole point* of time based releases is that they *happen*, NOT
that they *be exciting*.

<snip a rant about regular delivery of incremental improvements etc etc>

-Rob