Doc review & quick ref card - anyone with some DTP skills?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Jul 26 17:01:31 BST 2007

On 7/24/07, John Yates <jyates at netezza.com> wrote:
> > In terms of design, it would be nice to match the web site:
>
> A polished, recognizable project identity at every touchpoint is
> very desirable.
>
> > Headers like "initialization" text would be white with a blue
> > background.  Also, the logo should be on there, and it would be
> > nice to use the same font at least for "Bazaar Quick Reference".
>

> I am not especially smitten by the current website.  It feels like
> a "good effort" by someone without graphic arts training.  White
> on blue seems particularly weak.

I think it's ok, but could be better -- it's lacking a bit of the
'crisp and clean' feeling we aim for.  That's partly visual and partly
about the content and organization of the content.

We do have some graphic design people we can draw on but they need to
be told what we want, and I think it's better to get the structure of
the information first -- for example what items will be in the top
level menu (if any).

> Canonical is making a significant investment in Bazaar.  How does
> Canonical's feel about calling attention to that relationship?
> Does it want to underscore it or does it want to minimize it?
>
> My feeling is that Bazaar can only benefit from piggybacking on
> the momentum that Canonical and Ubuntu have generated.  Fostering
> a sense that Bazaar has a corporate sponsor must be a good thing.
> Canonical obviously has some in-house graphic arts talent.

We want to communicate the association with Ubuntu and Canonical, but
also that it's not exclusively for use with Ubuntu or Launchpad.

--
Martin