bzr-svn on mac

Neil Martinsen-Burrell nmb at wartburg.edu
Thu Jul 26 14:29:11 BST 2007

bazaar-request at lists.canonical.com wrote:
>    2. bzr-svn on mac ( Erik B?gfors )

> Does anyone have instructions on getting bzr-svn working on mac? I've
> tried using some macports to get all prereqs, but failed.

I have fought this bogey before and won.  Here's what works for me
(typed, not tested):

1. Install a recent version of sqlite, because the Apple provided
version is not new enough:
	sudo port install sqlite3

2. Install a pysqlite that links to the new sqlite3:
	sudo easy_install -U pysqlite
And check that it linked the correct library with otool -L
$SITE_PACKAGES/pysqlite2/_sqlite.so

2. Install an appropriate version of SWIG.  Subversion uses 1.3.25 to
pre-generate their bindings, so that's probably your safest bet.  See
http://www.swig.org/download.html

3. Install subversion with patched python bindings (and appropriate
dependencies; patch linked from
http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrForeignBranches/Subversion), the recipe from
the BzrSvn wiki page works correctly (pasted here):
	$ wget \
http://subversion.tigris.org/downloads/subversion-1.4.3.tar.bz2
	$ tar xvfj subversion-1.4.3.tar.bz2
	$ cd subversion-1.4.3
	$ patch -p1 < subversion-1.4.0-metze-python-bindings.patch
	$ ./autogen.sh --release
	$ ./configure
	$ make
	$ make check-swig-py
	$ sudo make install install-swig-py
Note that you need to install neon and apr and apr-util separately, or
download subversion-deps-1.4.3.tar.bz2 as well.  --release on autogen.sh
make check-swig-py may fail if the bindings are not installed (I don't
think the subversion people have the  PYTHONPATH pieces worked out yet
for that.)

4. Install bzr 0.18 and BzrSvn 0.3.5 (the newest version worked much
better for me).

5. Test with bzr plugins to see if it the plugin loads.

6.  Test on your repository.

My experience was that getting the patched subversion bindings to build
was the hardest part, then everything just worked, especially when
Jelmer fixed a bug in the sqlite import to favor a local install of
pysqlite.  If that doesn't work, will you let me know where and why.  If
it does work, I'd like to put it up on the wiki.

-Neil

--
Neil Martinsen-Burrell
nmb at wartburg.edu