[RFC] Documentation set summary

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Mon Jul 23 15:56:17 BST 2007

In summary, here's the documentation set I'd like us to have based on my
previous emails ...

Using Bazaar
------------

  Mini tutorial (the short 5 minute one)
  Quick Reference cards (Usage, Recipes, others?)
  Bazaar User Guide (RFC sent out recently)
  Bazaar Complete Reference (RFC sent out recently)
  Glossary

Moving to Bazaar
----------------

  Switching Guides (for users): CVS, SVN, Git, Mercurial, more ...
  Migration Guide (for admins): (BzrMigration page more or less)

Developing With Bazaar
----------------------

  Bazaar Developer Guide (doc/developers more or less)
  API documentation (generated from pydoctor)

Other Documents
---------------

  FAQ (web link)
  Upgrade Guides (for post 1.0)
  Release Notes (for post 1.0)

Note: The "more ..." link on the Switching Guides line is designed to go
to another page covering all the VCS tools (not just the popular ones).

In terms of making that document set available, we'll be pretty close
real soon in terms of content, assuming a few people volunteer to help
on the various bits I've highlighted in recent days. Once done, my
perspective is that Bazaar's doc will be best in class, or close enough,
among DVCS tools.

I think the set is short enough that users ought to find what they're
looking for pretty quickly. The Glossary might be included near the end
of the User Guide, Complete Reference or both, but otherwise the
duplication and overlap ought to be minimal. The "paths" through the
documentation set for various users are hopefully clear enough as well.

How do that look to everyone else?

Ian C.