[Distutils] Bazaar support for setuptools

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jul 21 04:24:29 BST 2007

On Jul 20, 2007, at 8:15 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 07:31 PM 7/20/2007 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> Would it help if the plugin could fall back to the command line
>> bzr (1) program if bzrlib wasn't installed in your Python?  I've
>> modified
>> the code to do this and it seems to work fine either way.  I haven't
>> looked, but ISTM that both CVS and Subversion support have to work
>> somewhat similarly.  How does setuptools handle things if either
>> cvs (1) or svn(1) weren't available?
>
> It doesn't use them; it just reads CVS/Entries and .svn/entries.

Ah, clever!

>>> You can even declare its dependency on bzrlib and have that
>>> automatically installed too, assuming that it's either on the
>>> Cheeseshop or you can supply a download link or page with download
>>> links in your setup(find_links=[...]).
>>
>> I don't quite understand this last bit.  Is there documentation on
>> the find_links keyword argument?  I couldn't find it.  What I did
>> find was dependency_links so I added the following to my setup.py:
>
> Eep, I meant dependency_links.

Turns out not to be necessary.  Now that the cheeseshop is back up, I
was able to check and find out that bzr is in there.  It doesn't
exactly help though because the tarball is broken.  There's an open
bug on this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/125521/+index

>> I haven't actually tested this part because I can't find
>> documentation on instructing 'python setup.py install' to install
>> optional packages (is that even possible from the command line?).
>
> Try 'install_requires' instead of 'extras_require'.

Great for testing, thanks.  But um, how /do/ normal users tell
setup.py to install those extra packages?

Again, thanks Phillip.  Now that the Cheeseshop is back up, you can
grab the package from here:

http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/setuptoolsbzr

Cheers,
- -Barry