0.19 release schedule

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Jul 20 01:51:51 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 19:20 +0100, James Westby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It looks like I'm "it" for 0.19.
>
> This is my preferred release schedule for the next release. It gives
> just over a month of open trunk on 0.19. This seems a little short,
> would anybody like a couple more weeks?

Our normal schedule is 4 weekly releases, with 5 weeks per release.
Given that 0.18 went RC on the 10ths, that makes 3 weeks of open trunk
with a freeze on the 31st, then an RC on the 7th and release on the
14th.

You are the RM, but I've found the 3 weeks open, one week frozen to work
quite well.

..
> As for the changes that this release would contain, I would like it if
> you could reply to this message and tell me what you hope to get merged
> for this release, or at least what you will be spending time on.

Performance performance performance.

> One thing I would like to do is to bump the default format, at least to
> dirstate-tags, but perhaps all the way to dirstate-with-subtree. I would
> prefer the latter to do it in one go. Does anyone have any preference. I
> believe that Martin said he had a branch with a changed default, and
> there were some failing tests. I would like to get the change in this
> week, one to get some testing of it from us, and two so that people know
> what they will be aiming for with their new code.

That should have been done a week and a bit ago by my count. IMO
destabilising things should either go in on the first couple of days
after the RC, or not at all.

>   * 116598     bzr 0.14 cannot push via sftp/bzr+ssh to branch with WT4

This is not fixable in 0.19 it needs a 0.14 point release.

>   * 121509     bzr check should verify last-changed fields and per file
>                knit parents.

This is needed to allow the smart server streaming change to come in as
its a data-level precondition for it not causing corruption in the form
of missed records.

-Rob