Doc review & quick ref card - anyone with some DTP skills?

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Thu Jul 19 05:22:23 BST 2007

All,

One of my background tasks is to go over our documentation, find the
holes, plug some, encourage others to plug others, etc. I'm pleased to
see James Westby is doing this as well which is great - the more the
merrier on this front!

Right now, we have a good 10 minute introduction with the tutorial and
we're looking at bigger things (like a more comprehensive User Manual).
While important, we all know that only 5% of users will ever read the
longer stuff: weirdos (like me) that like to know all the details and
fear there's some neat feature they don't know about.

If you want 95% of people - normal people - to read doc, you need to get
it down to the 2 minute category. :-) Seriously, a good quick reference
card is priceless. If someone has some basic DTP skills and would like
to do this, the Mercurial one is a good example of what I'd like to see
us have for bzr. See http://www.ivy.fr/mercurial/ref/v1.0/ of which I
like http://www.ivy.fr/mercurial/ref/v1.0/Mercurial-Usage-v1.0.pdf the most.

Perhaps someone already has done this for their team, community or
company? If so, can you make it available as a free resource? If not,
are there any volunteers to do one? Just think, you could be the author
of the one bit of bzr doc most users will actually read!

Ian C.