[MERGE] Speed up blackbox.test_cat by 2 seconds

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Wed Jul 18 15:45:02 BST 2007

Andrew Bennetts пишет:
> Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>> Alexander Belchenko has voted -1.
>> Status is now: Vetoed
>> Comment:
>> I'm sorry, but avoiding subprocess is wrong thing.
>> 'bzr cat' should be tested in subprocess on win32, otherwise
>> it's hard to test mangling of line-endings on windows.
>>
>> Either make it conditional depending on platform,
>> or make other call for bzr commands without invoking subprocess.
>>
>> But in current form: -1 from me.
>
> Fair enough, let's leave it as is then.  Instead I'll make a patch to add
> comments about this; I had no idea from reading the code that checking the
> output in the face of win32 line-ending mangling was the intent.
>
> Thanks for information!

Thank you for your approach. I think that code really lacks explaining comment.

Probably it's my fault that there is no explaining comments,
but looking at annotate you can see corresponding log message:

revno: 2178.4.1
committer: Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net>
branch nick: win32.binary-stdout
timestamp: Wed 2006-12-13 10:15:54 +0200
message:
  Provide tests to illustrate bug #55276 on win32.

  Change blackbox tests for cat and bundle commands
  to use run_bzr_subprocess and therefore grab
  real output (windows mangle line-endings LF -> CRLF).
  Also provide new blackbox tests for diff command.

  To check that tests failed you need to run on win32:

  python bzr selftest blackbox.test_cat
  python bzr selftest blackbox.test_bundle
  python bzr selftest blackbox.test_diff

If you can verbalize short explanation -- please do.
May be it's worth to comment about subprocess in all 3 tests,
mentioned in log message.

- --
[µ]