europython sprint report wrapup

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Jul 17 10:42:40 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 13:24 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Robert Collins wrote:
> > To wrap up the lithuanian post-europython sprint...
>
> Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
>
> > Jelmer has 'branch -r -5.. working, which will only copy the data for
> > the last 5 revisions. This is the key starting point for
> > ShallowBranches/HistoryHorizons. Woot!
>
> In London, Jelmer and I discussed why we were arguing so strongly about
> History Horizons.  We concluded that Jelmer wants a related feature:
> Lazy Repositories.
>
> Unlike History Horizons, Lazy Repositories make a branch dependent on
> its upstream branch for old revisions, and do not provide a hard
> guarantee that revisions past the history horizon will *never* be
> stored.  If old revisions are required, (e.g. to perform a merge,) they
> will be fetched and stored in the local repository at that time.
>
> By contast, history horizons are intended to serve the case where
> there's a desire to omit old data permanently, e.g. when web space is
> limited.  For the local branching case, my desire was that branches with
> history horizons would contain all the data necessary to perform a
> merge.  This made annotate-based merge especially desirable, because it
> doesn't require a base revision.

Its always possible for a history horizon to turn out to be too
aggressive though. So I think the ability to modify such a horizon
post-hoc would be useful; further to that I think history horizons are
the starting point for both use cases.

I do agree that there are different scenarios here that may require
difference behaviours up and down the stack to Do The Right Thing.

-Rob