[MERGE] Support fetching a restricted set of revisions

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Mon Jul 16 18:07:13 BST 2007

On (16/07/07 18:37), Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> I appreciate this isn't exposed at the UI yet and the direction you're
> going has precedence with the --depth option of git clone, but are we
> sure we want to control depth via a numeric limit?
>
> Thinking out loud, is specifying depth by giving a revision spec a
> better way? We can easily give a depth of N that way (-N) but it opens
> the possibility of specifying the "origin" in more logical ways,
> particularly once people start using tags more heavily. For example,
> "give me depth back to the version tagged (say) 0.17rc1". It just seems
> to me that many people don't want to think about how far they wish to go
> back in terms of a count. Well unless that number is 1 and only 1. :-) A
> 'logical point' in recent project history seems more useful IMO.

As I see it Jelmer's patch does not make the selection numeric. The
parameter he adds is for a set which lists the revision ids that you
want in the branch that you are getting. This would be entirely flexible
in how you arrive at this list.

As for your reasoning I completely agree, and I think that should be the
performed way of specifying this.

Thanks,

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256