RM responsibility

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Jul 5 03:15:06 BST 2007

On 7/5/07, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> What motivates that suggestion?
>
> I guess my feeling is that you get diminishing returns from reviews the
> more experience the submitter has.  Certainly you get fewer style
> issues, and it tends to come down to "is this a good idea" rather than
> "is this well-implemented" more often.

I try to at least read the review comments - that gets a kind of
super-review without taking the time to read the whole patch.

I definitely notice that reviews go faster if there is enough
explanation at the head of the mail, so I know what to look for and I
can think about whether it basically sounds good before reading the
patch.  We do pretty well on that now.

> > It would be nice for the cores to aim to have code reviewed within a week.
> > That would certainly help to keep the pipeline flowing and keep the
> > non-cores more engaged.
>
> I do try to do that.  Some patches lie outside my comfort zone, so they
> either take longer, or I leave them to someone else.  And there are some
> patches I don't want to review.  It shouldn't fall to me all the time,
> but it often seems to.

One thing we could do is send mail to some other specific reviewer, or
ask them on irc, if you think that either a patch is in an area they
know or care about, or if you think they need to pull more weight.

--
Martin