RM responsibility

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Thu Jul 5 02:27:51 BST 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Kent Gibson wrote:
>> Aaron Bentley wrote:
>> But my thinking is it would level the playing field for cores and
>> non-cores.
>
> I would like that too.

I recently put together a Wiki page documenting things I needed to know
to be in the core. I'll get that converted into a patch to HACKING so
more people can join the core if they wish. See
http://bazaar-vcs.org/IanClatworthy/CoreDeveloperHandbook in the meantime.

>> All in all it feels much harder for someone outside the core to get a
>> patch approved.
>> And that is a really bad thing cos it undermines community involvement.
>
> I would like to fix that by making it easier for those outside the core
> rather than making it harder for those within.  One option would be for
> the first reviewer to find a second.

I like that idea a lot. In a non open source project, the RM would hand
pick a review team looking to ensuring that multiple perspectives were
covered, e.g. one reviewer might know the domain space really well while
another might be strong in UI design or a guru in a relevant base
technology. By having the first reviewer nominate a second one, we could
get the same effect happening.

The other suggestion I have with reviews is for BB to allow people to
say "I'm going to reviewing this". It does take time to review things
and knowing that change A is under review by person X already while
change B is getting no attention would assist newer reviewers like me in
 deciding where to focus our time.

Ian C.