RM responsibility

Kent Gibson warthog618 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 16:13:14 BST 2007

Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Kent Gibson wrote:
>>
>> Aaron Bentley wrote:
>
>>> Unfortunately, I have found that they do.  In this past release
>>>  cycle, I have had several patches go un-reviewed until warned
>>> that I would bypass the review process and submit unreviewed
>>> patches.
>> I agree.  If it were an ideal world things would just hum along
>> on their own without the need of someone providing oversight. So
>> far Bazaar has done pretty well, but since the London sprint you
>> cores seem to have been focussed on the performance drive at the
>> exclusion of more mundane things like reviewing code from
>> non-cores. (Reviewing a core's code has a different dynamic since
>> you get something out of it - that core is more likely to review
>> your code in return.)
>
> Hmm, this time around, I think cores reviewing cores has been
> equally bad as cores reviewing non-cores. :-( Reviews for non-cores
> might seem worse but that's probably just a reflection that we ask
> for 2 reviews there instead of 1.

I'm tempted to suggest that cores should also require a review by 2
others, i.e their don't get to review their own code, but that would
just add to the review backlog.

It would be nice for the cores to aim to have code reviewed within a week.
That would certainly help to keep the pipeline flowing and keep the
non-cores more engaged.

> It's fair to say that the performance roadmap work is impacting day
> to day stuff. Robert and Martin are driving the roadmap and doing a
> great job on that. It's causing short term pain and frustration but
> it's the right thing for the product. It's worth stressing that the
> roadmap might be labelled a "performance" one but it's more than
> that: it's about restructuring the code so we can do some truly
> exciting new features as well. The benefits aren't immediate yet
> while the pain probably is, but we really, really need this work to
> happen IMO.

I appreciate that.  I too am looking forward to all the goodness that
will be forthcoming from the restructuring, as well as some of the
other features I'd find useful like Aaron's nested trees.
I'm only sorry that I have neither sufficient understanding of
bazaar's innards, nor the free time at the moment, to pitch in.

Cheers,
Kent.