[MERGE] left align log output if it only contains merge revisions

Kent Gibson warthog618 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 14:32:47 BST 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Kent Gibson wrote:

>>> Yes they are.  They are the revisions you committed or pulled.
>
>> As are the merge revisions.
>
> I get the impression you understand my meaning, you're just not
> happy about it.  Is that right?

Sorry for being thick.
I'm trying to understand your point, but I fail to see the
distinction, and I'm doing my best to get you to clarify.
Both you and John state that the patch behaviour is inconsistent with
existing behaviour.
The only way that can be true is if mainline revisions are somehow
special.
That surprises me, since from my POV revisions are revisions.
- From your POV mainline revisions are special because, well, because
they are mainline revisions???

>>> Won't that depend on whether the range "-r2553.2.12..2553.2.13"
>>>  includes any mainline revisions?
>> Of course.  The point is that you will always get mainline
>> revisions in the log output UNLESS you do some pretty specific
>> filtering with -r.  And if there ARE mainline revisions then the
>> patch does not
> apply.
>
> So 99% of the time this patch does not apply.  And the remaining 1%
> of the time, its behavior will be surprising.

The surprising behaviour from my POV is having revision logs floating
off the left margin.
e.g (same example without the patch)
    revno: 2553.2.13
    committer: Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
    branch nick: integration
    timestamp: Mon 2007-07-02 15:53:55 +1000
    message:
      Remove unneeded inner function in adapt_test_to_scenario.
        revno: 2553.2.11.1.1
        committer: Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
        branch nick: adapter-cleanup
        timestamp: Mon 2007-07-02 15:52:59 +1000
        message:
          Remove unneeded inner function in adapt_test_to_scenario.
    revno: 2553.2.12
    committer: Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
    branch nick: integration
    timestamp: Mon 2007-07-02 15:26:25 +1000
    message:
      Merge with bzr.dev.

I really don't see the point of the indent in this case.
That they are not mainline revisions is clear.
The patch is intended to tidy the output specifically in this case.
Just because that case may be a 1% corner case does not make the patch
any less valid.

But since the patch is so obviously inconsistent, -1 from me.
Get it out of the queue so you can concentrate on something more
worthwhile.

Cheers,
Kent.