[RFC] commit noise levels

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Tue Jun 26 06:41:50 BST 2007

At the moment, the output noise controls (--quiet/-q, --verbose/-v)
don't work the way I expect. In discussions with Robert, the consensus
is that there ought to be 3 levels:

1. quiet - show nothing except for errors and warnings
   (useful for scripts)
2. middle - quiet + the committed revision # message
3. verbose - show all messages

Does that sound right to everyone?

If so, then I'd like to seek agreement on how those levels ought to be
activated. I explicitly labelled the 2nd level as "middle" because
verbose mode is currently the default. I'd like to suggest making the
2nd level the default one, using -q for the first level and -v for the 3rd.

Thoughts?

Ian C.