feature requests for loggerhead

Michael Hudson michael.hudson at canonical.com
Tue Jun 19 10:21:13 BST 2007

Martin Pool wrote:
> What a large thread!  I'm glad you posted, Michael.

Yeah!  Always good to get some discussion going.

> You should look at archzoom, if you can still find a running instance
> or get someone to help you set it up.  In some ways I think it's
> superior to many other viewers in the density of information display
> and visual elegance.

It turns out http://archzoom.sourcecontrol.net/ is still running :)

I find arch almost entirely bewildering though, so I'm a bit lost.  I
agree the information is presented very densely, and afaict clearly.

> Random ideas:
>
> * I actually like our nested log display much more than a viz
> display, and would like if loggerhead showed something similar - put
> disclosure triangles next to merges and when they're opened show the
> revisions that are merged in.  I think this is often easier to read
> than the tram tracks.

You mean, recursively?  I guess that makes sense, but it has the
possibility to make the basic /changes view a pretty huge file.  AJAXy
stuff would be nice, but rather beyond my skill set...

> * The display should be more dense - loggerhead uses (i think) a
> larger-than-default font, and has a lot of whitespace.  (I like
> whitespace but somehow in the current theme it looks gassy rather than
> elegant.)  For example in my browser window I see 19 revisions by
> default of gtk+ at the url Johan gave, but only 5 of bzr.dev, and I
> don't think the viewvc is too dense.

Well, the url johan gave shows you 19 _files_ of a particular revision,
not 19 revisions.  I think ViewVCs revision view:

http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtk%2B/trunk/?view=query&dir=&file=&file_match=exact&who=&who_match=exact&comment=&comment_match=exact&querysort=date&hours=24&date=week&mindate=&maxdate=&limit_changes=100

Wastes even more space than loggerhead...

Cheers,
mwh