feature requests for loggerhead

Michael Hudson michael.hudson at canonical.com
Mon Jun 18 17:54:13 BST 2007

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> I would guess that indicating "Executable" *might* be interesting.

Per Johan's last mail, some kind of application icon might work well
enough for that (similarly for symlinks, etc).

>>> The codebrowse part of launchpad seems really slow too, not sure if it's
>>> related to loggerhead, bandwidth or machine utilization.
>> Oh my, it's certainly slow.  I know some of the reasons why (kid! argh),
>> and will definitely be working to improve that.
>
> Is 'kid' really that bad?

For the case where you want to say "here, templating engine, is some
output I want to send verbatim for the user", kid doesn't trust you and
parses what you give it to make sure.  The revision view for a change
that touches every line of a 10K line file does this ~30k times which
just takes ages and ages (several minutes).

> I thought at least some of it was some non-optimal
> conditions in Bazaar itself.

There are other pages and situations where the performance of Bazaar
could be better (making 'bzr log -v -r -20..' super fast would be really
nice for loggerhead), and loggerhead doesn't always help itself (calling
repository.get_revisions with a list of 100 revisions on a tree the size
of launchpad isn't too friendly).

Cheers,
mwh