Put Bazaar behind a password

Jason Merrill jason.merrill at yale.edu
Wed Jun 13 22:53:24 BST 2007

> The file 'doc/http_smart_server.txt' describes how to do this.

Thanks a lot John.  This definitely clears up some points of confusion.  I
thought that "smart server" was only used to describe what happens when you use
bzr serve, and didn't realize that you could also use modules on apache to do a
similar thing.  I was also indeed confused about the usage of bzr+ssh: I thought
you could use that protocol to access another machine that had just run bzr
serve, but now I understand that you actually use it to access another machine
that is running an ssh server.

On my mac box, I used macports to install bazaar, and though it has installed
bazaar 0.16, it seems not to have installed some of the documentation.  There
was no http_smart_server.txt in my doc folder.  I was, however, able to just
download the source and read it there.  I'm a little puzzled about the note at
the beginning saying that using the http smart server will allow access to
arbitrary files on the server.  How?  Why?  I also don't get the following
instruction.  Both arguments to Alias seem to be the same.  What does this mean?

# bzr-smart.fcgi isn't under the DocumentRoot, so Alias it into the URL
    # namespace so it can be executed.
    Alias /srv/example.com/scripts/bzr-smart.fcgi
/srv/example.com/scripts/bzr-smart.fcgi

> b) Path issues. I've started using www.MacPorts.org to install stuff, because
> it makes my life easier. However it seems that it puts python2.4 in
> /opt/local/bin/ which is not on the default search path. So doing "ssh
> localhost bzr log /test/" was failing with not being able to find python2.4
> (the python in the search path is Mac's default 2.3).
> To get it to work I did:

Yeah, the macports folks encourage you to add /opt/local/bin to your path using
.bash_rc or .profile or whatever.  The idea is that everything run through
macports is in the opt folder, so if it all somehow gets totally borked you can
just dump the whole opt folder and start over without worrying about messing any
non macports things up.

I think I may just take another stab at getting OpenSSH working on the windows
machine.  Mucking around with the experimental apache smart server seems a bit
beyond what I'd like to get into at this point.

Cheers,

Jason