[MERGE] Faster commit

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Jun 5 15:43:54 BST 2007

Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> John Arbash Meinel has voted +1 (conditional).
>> Status is now: Conditionally approved
>> Comment:
>> Changing is_executable() may actually break some things like bzr-gtk.
>>
>> So at the very least we should have a "SURPRISES" or "NOTES WHEN
>> UPGRADING" comment about this specific API change so that people
>> implementing plugins have an idea it might break for them.
>>
>> Otherwise, I'm +1 on this.
>>
>> For details, see:
>> http://bundlebuggy.aaronbentley.com/request/%3C4664328E.4090809%40internode.on.net%3E
>>

> John,
>
> "NOTES WHEN UPGRADING" now added to NEWS as requested. No other changes
> over those reviewed.
>
> Could you please merge this on my behalf? I'm yet to get myself set-up
> for submissions for PQM. I had hoped to get some mentoring on that today
> but got tied up with other stuff.
>
> Once again, thanks for the review.
>
> Ian C.

Well, these patches are based on revisions which aren't in bzr.dev. How are you
generating them?

Maybe you accidentally merged something into your local bzr.dev mirror, so it
thinks it has the patches.

Anyway, I tried to merge all of your other bundles in case one of them had the
base revision, but I was not able to merge this patch.

Specifically, it is saying:
bzr: ERROR: Revision
{ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net-20070528020825-ytop085jnocvmx3q} not present
in inventory.

Obviously this is a revision from you on 2007-05-28 (at 02:08 UTC, 3pm AU?).
But otherwise I don't know what branch it was committed on, etc.

The other possibility is that you branched from a local branch, and not from
bzr.dev, and you are just running "bzr bundle" which creates a bundle against
the parent. To be strictly correct you want to use:

bzr bundle http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev > mybundle.patch

I personally keep a checkout of bzr.dev locally with:

bzr init-repo --trees dev/bzr
cd dev/bzr
bzr checkout http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev

By using a checkout, I can insure that my branch is pristine (I didn't
accidentally commit to the local branch). And then I have an alias for:

alias BCB='bzr bundle $HOME/dev/bzr/bzr.dev > $HOME/dev/bzr/patches/`basename
$(pwd)`.patch'

Because I work in named branches, and generate bundles named based on the
branch name.

I would be happy to merge it, but I don't want to much just the diff, without
giving you the credit you deserve.