[MERGE][bug #111702] bzr init <remote_branch> connects multiple times

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Jun 1 20:34:55 BST 2007

John Arbash Meinel has voted +1 (conditional).
Status is now: Conditionally approved
Comment:
I wish there were a better way than having to pass possible transports
around through all the different api layers, but the only obvious one is
to use a cache, and that seems to be very frowned upon.

This looks incorrectly indented:
+    * ``bzr init`` should only connect to the remote location one time.
+      We have been connecting several times because we forget to pass
+      around the Transport object. This modifies
+      ``BzrDir.create_branch_convenience``, so that we can pass in the
+      Transport that we already have.
+     (John Arbash Meinel, Vincent Ladeuil, #111702)
+

I realize this isn't your code but this is incorrect:
-            t = get_transport(safe_unicode(base))
+            t = get_transport(safe_unicode(base), possible_transports)

get_transport() isn't defined anymore as strictly requiring a Unicode
path. It is actually specifically defined as taking a URL or trying to
be smart if it gets a unicode path. (If it thinks it is a URL it tries
to encode it, if it is a local path it treats it appropriately).

So I would just remove the "safe_unicode()" calls. There are other
places as well.

This loop could be clearer:
+    transport = None
+    if possible_transports:
+        for t in possible_transports:
+            if t.base == base:
+                transport = t
+                break
+    if transport is None:
+    if transport is None:
+    return transport

Instead, you could just do:
+    if possible_transports:
+        for t in possible_transports:
+            if t.base == base:
+                return t
+                break

Then you don't need the 'if transport is None' checks.

Also, the way you have written this, the transport will only be re-used
if it is identically the same. I thought we were trying to also handle
cases when it is a parent/child. Or is that something you are still
working on?

And I don't think this works for local relative paths. Because T.base is
expanded to the absolute path, rather than the relative path that was
passed in. (unless I misread it and the path has already been converted
to a full url).

For details, see:
http://bundlebuggy.aaronbentley.com/request/%3Cm2wszoq317.fsf%40free.fr%3E