Proposed 0.17 Milestones

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Fri May 25 01:48:08 BST 2007

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback on 0.17 themes and
objectives. After landing some large changes in recent months (including
dirstate and hpss), 0.17 is shaping up as a lighter release focussed on
higher quality and incrementally better performance on some common
operations. Here are the proposed key dates:

* Jun 4: Release Candidate 1- all non-trivial changes should be reviewed
and merged by this date
* Jun 10: 0.17 ships.

After a successful sprint in London last week, we now have some broad
agreement on what work remains on the table for 1.0. Without
compromising doing the right thing, great performance on large trees
with deep history is clearly a large part of that roadmap. I see the
0.17 release as being an opportunity to clean up the rougher edges in
0.16 while picking the lowest hanging fruit on the 1.0 roadmap. In
particular, here are the things I'd like us to target ...

Quality:

* any dirstate regressions
* bugs with >= High importance

Performance:

* status
* diff
* commit
* merge

As part of this, I'd like to see John's pyrex changes land assuming
Robert has some time to review them.

Of course, I'm happy to accept anything else people are passionate about
assuming it is reviewed and merged in time. Reviewer time can often be
the bottleneck in getting new stuff landed so be sure to let us know via
IRC or the mailing list if you're hoping to land things into 0.17.

If anyone has any feedback on any of the above, please let me know.
Otherwise, I'll let things sit over the weekend and get
https://launchpad.net/bzr/+milestone/0.17 updated early next week.

Cheers,
Ian C.

PS: If you're new to the Bazaar community and keen to help, there's
plenty to do. Some great ways to get started are to confirm bugs other
have raised (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/), help us improve
documentation and submit patches with bug fixes and/or better error
messages. If you don't have a lot of time to spare, consider running
from bzr.dev and helping us test it as it evolves. Every little bit helps.