[RFC] Removing the inventory concept from Bazaar.

Daniel Silverstone dsilvers at digital-scurf.org
Tue May 8 22:45:11 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 11:12 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > Your third assumption is that you can add a noop record to every
> > unaffected knit index on commit
> Yes, but I had hoped that the constant factors would be small enough
> that we could get away with it.

Aye, disk operations tend to be cheap.

> > Won't this mean that commit time will be proportional to size of tree
> > not number of modifications?
> Yes, but I can imagine a very, very small constant factor, because we'd
> only be adding a knit index entry.

But still, however small that constant factor, you're back to
O(size-of-tree)

> > Also, won't this mean that a push will always have to update every knit
> > index? Seriously increasing the potential number of round trips?
> That is more worrying.

And to be frank, is my primary concern.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 2BC8 4016 2068 7895