[RFC/MERGE] disabling kind markers for 'bzr status'

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Fri May 4 18:13:04 BST 2007

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> James Troup mentioned on IRC that he would like to remove the kind
> markers from 'bzr status'. He was talking about using "bzr status" in
> pipelines. I'm not sure exactly how, but I would guess he was doing
> something like:
> 1) bzrlib/delta.py doesn't use 'osutils.kind_marker()' and instead
> re-produces the logic locally. (And messes up because it doesn't handle
> the new tree references).

That is fossil code.  We use ChangeReporter for short status now, and
that does use osutils.kind_marker.

> He thought it would be reasonable to disable it with a 'isatty()' check,
> I'm not sure if we would want to do that or not.

No.  Never.  isatty is not a reasonable way to determine whether this is
an interactive session, because we don't know what we're piping TO.  It
may well be "/usr/bin/less".

> We could disable it with an ENV var, or we could make it a flag to
> 'show_tree_status'. The flag would need to be propagated a bit, but not
> terribly far.

You mean a flag to ChangeReporter I hope?

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)