Deprecation policy

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Apr 30 02:42:22 BST 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 10:26 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Kent Gibson wrote:
> > I'm wondering what happens to code that has been deprecated for the 6
> > months specified in HACKING.  Is it ok to just remove it?
>
> We discussed it quite a while ago (can't find the discussion).  What I
> remember is that we would keep old, deprecated code until it was
> interfering with ongoing development.

Yeah, thats what I recall to. The basic concept is that deprecations are
a way of balancing our desire to improve the code base with users
desires for a stable api. So sometimes we break the api because the
expected users are a small fraction of apis users, or because
deprecating is very hard, and conversely, having deprecated if there is
a low ongoing cost it is easy for us to provide stability to users - but
some deprecations make the code base much uglier than others :).

-Rob