[RFC] Bazaar internationalization (i18n)

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Apr 23 02:47:28 BST 2007

On 4/23/07, Tobias Toedter <t.toedter at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've started to add internationalization capabilities to bzr. Please take a
> look at the blueprint here:
> <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/bzr/+spec/i18n>
>
> You'll find the branch associated with the blueprint.
>
> If the general implementation seems correct to you, I could start to make
> all translatable program messages use the gettext() resp. _() function.

Hi Tobias,

Internationalizing Bazaar's ui would be good.

People have previously raised the concern that using python gettext
would increase Bazaar's startup time, which is something we are trying
to reduce.  So it might be good to do some experiments at an early
stage to find out:

1- How long does loading gettext and a message catalog take when done
during bzr startup?

2- If it's noticeable, is there any feasible alternative?
Hypothetically we could try compiling the strings into a python file -
I don't know if that would be practical or faster.

--
Martin