Doubts w.r.t. development models using Bazaar

Rohit Rai rohitbrai at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 17:53:16 BST 2007

Point 1:

On the website it says,
Although Bazaar's major focus is software development, it can be used for
other kinds of projects, as well. It works best with textual files, like
source code, marked-up text (e.g. HTML), and plaintext. It is less effective
with tree-structured data (e.g. XML), and is most limited in dealing with
opaque binary files (e.g. Microsoft Word documents).

I am preparing a model for implementing open source practices and tools to a
software factory. And I see distributed SCMs as the way to go. Out of all
the distributed SVNs I have found Bazaar and Hg most appealing with various
features and an important criterion being support for Windows as well as
Linux OS.
But I am not sure about the maturity of these systems as compared to SVN and
other client-server SCMs.

On important consideration will be how well can these non text data in
comparison to SVN.

Point 2:

I have a strong gut feeling and am analyzing the implementation using
automatic gatekeeper as the way to go, with might be a reviewer in between.

So it is,
developer -> reviewer -> gatekeeper -> main repository line.

Will this preserve the change history and logs from the developer unto the
main repository???

What do you think of the approach?

Regards,

Rohit B. Rai,
Open Source Tools Developer,
Cordys R&D India Pvt. Ltd.

--
If you haven't found something you are willing to die for, You are not fit
to live