Help/confirmation to establish a repository

Sabin Iacob iacobs at m0n5t3r.info
Wed Apr 18 13:34:11 BST 2007

Massimo Manca wrote:
> 0. I am located on C:/BazaarTest/KominaBase
> 1. bzr branch ../KominaBase ../KominaRevA
> now KominaRevA contains the copy of all files contained in KominaBase
> then I make some modifications on files inside KominaRevA just to test
> purposes.
> 2. I run bzr status to see modified files

> KominaRevA)
> 3. I make some modifications on KominaBase files
> 4. I commit KominaBase modifications
> Before to commit KominaRevA modifications I try to see if there are
> modifications on kominaBase that is the root trunk for KominaRevB with:
> bzr missing ../KominaBase (I would like a way to don't specify the
> branch parent) so I discovered that KominaBase was updated after I
> started KominaRevB branch, I have to import its changes in KominaRevA:
>
> what is the correct command?????????

bzr help missing (as a command; actually there is a lot of bzr help
available :))

> 5. bzr update only works inside the same branch is it correct?

that's correct; to get changes from another branch you would have to use
"bzr merge" followed by conflict resolution and commit (or "bzr pull" if
the branches haven't diverged)

> Then I have to check if there are conflicts:
> 6. bzr conflicts --text (with or without --text)
> finally I can commit my changes:
> 7. bzr commit -m "bug #553 corrected"
> and for documentation purpose I can perform a diff and save its result
> inside the bug management program:
>
> what is the correct or the best syntax for bzr diff? I would like to
> have a simple syntax to make the diff between KominaRevA and the
> original KominaBase (that used to make the branch) and I suppose it is
> simply bzr diff
> and a simple syntax to make the diff between KominaRevA and the updated
> (may be that a different engineer udated it after I made KominaRevA
> branch) in the base branch.
> 8. bzr diff ??????????????????

bzr diff branch1 branch2 should show you changes between two working
trees; also see bzr help diff (the bzr commands are usually well
documented, so bzr help is your friend)

> Actually when we work with more working directories derived from
> different branches of the same project we make a directory structure like:
>
> Komina (the project name)
> Komina/KominaBase
> Komina/KominaRevA
> Komina/KominaRevPink
> and so on
>
> can be a problem to work with bazaar this directory scheme?

I don't see why it shouldn't work; if you manage to get python support
on the host you may actually be able to also run a pqm (well, it _is_
possible to write one in PHP, but you would have to be able to execute
external commands from PHP, and hosts don't usually allow that).