[RFC] strawman explict object-tracking API

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Tue Apr 17 13:29:49 BST 2007

<snip/>

    >> This could perhaps be used by transports to cache network connections,
    >> and maybe also to remember credentials (eg for http).

    robert> Well, most transports already have a 'Transport' vs
    robert> 'Connection' internal abstraction already -
    robert> get_transport doing what I proposed will give the
    robert> effect of caching network credentials cleanly within
    robert> a single 'cache'. (Its not a 'cache' because its not
    robert> transient data backed elsewhere).

This is indeed the case for the http urllib implementation:

- connection is shared between transports,
- credentials are kept in transports.

To say the truth, credentials are also kept in the
PasswordManager which can be extended to handle other schemes than
http.

        Vincent