[MERGE] Add two new help topics

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Apr 17 03:29:39 BST 2007

On 4/17/07, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> > I think we want to be more explicit about "shared repository" versus
> > just "repository". Also having the term "shared repository" might help
> > distinguish it from darcs/git/hg which just use the term "repository" to
> > mean *everything*.

I agree that's clearer in this place.  Thanks for doing such a
thorough review John, by the way.

> Longer term, I'm reconsidering the decision to call them "Repositories".
>  At the time I suggested it, I don't think anyone realized it was
> becoming an ambiguous term.  Perhaps "Archive" would be better, at least
> for the user-visible "Shared Repository".  Because Archive doesn't mean
> anything to darcs/git/hg/svn/cvs users, it leaves us free to define it.
>  (And the term is a good match for Arch users, if any are left.)

"Shared repository" tends to mislead people into thinking it means
"shared between users", because we do at least informally refer to
shared branches being used that way.  Maybe "library" would be a good
term.

We could still keep the term "repository" for the internal object, and
just use this term to refer to one that spans several branches.

--
Martin