Remote repository with bazaar

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Apr 13 21:05:37 BST 2007

Massimo Manca wrote:
> I would use a remote repository located on my hosted web server.
> Actually I am able to read data from the repository but I am not able to
> write. Just to test I created a repository on my PC then I played a
> little with bazaar and then I copied via ftp the local repository to a
> remote directory on my hosted web space. Then I am able to perform log
> and checkouts but not commits.
> Is there a way to do them?
> Best regards,

To create a repository on an ftp server, and be able to update it you
want to do something like:

$ cd local/branch
$ bzr push ftp://provider/path/on/provider
$ bzr bind ftp://provider/path/on/provider

And then when you make a commit in "local/branch" the changes will be
committed to "ftp://provider/path/on/provider".

However... I'm guessing you actually care about having a Working Tree in
 the remote location. (At least it sounds like you are trying to
maintain a web page in bzr, and keep it updated through an ftp provider).
Which is not something we support at this point. You can upload the
history information (Repository), but because of potential problems with
file conflicts, etc, we don't try to update working files in a remote
location.

This has been something that gets requested from time to time, so
probably someone will write a plugin for it. But at this time, we don't
do it.