[MERGE] 'make api-docs' and 'make check-api-docs'

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Apr 12 21:33:10 BST 2007

The attached patch is my start at cleaning up the api documentation.
With the first step being to make it possible to actually *generate* api
documentation.

I'm looking at both pydoctor and epydoc, but for now I'm focusing on
epydoc. I got it to be okay with lazy_imports, and that means that the
documentation will be correct when we have @decorators.

This patch provides commands for:

  make api-docs
  make check-api-docs # epydoc --check

And it wraps epydoc (2.1) so that it can handle our lazy objects.

I also set it up so that you can build just the documentation for a
subset with:

  make api-docs docfiles=bzrlib/branch.py

Which is something that helps me when I'm trying to fix a specific file.

I want to make sure these first changes get merged, so I'm sure that I'm
on the right track to continue updating the docstrings. I'll have
patches for different files as I update them.

PS> I would be happier not monkey patching epydoc, but I didn't see a
clean way to tell it that it should re-evalutate LazyImporter objects.