[MERGE][BUG 51980] bzr log <file>returns inappropriate revisions

Kent Gibson warthog618 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 16:16:34 BST 2007

Kent Gibson wrote:
>> A |\ B C |/ D
>

> - From the little testing I've done the output is a superset of the
>  output of your full delta patch.  There are a few additional
> entries because get_weave is reporting a few spurious revisions, as
>  mentioned in previously in this thread. I'd really like to
> investigate why get_weave is reporting those spurious revisions to
> see if they can be stamped out.

With a little more testing I have found that there are a few more
revisions being logged than can be accounted for by the get_weave
weirdness.
I'm pretty sure this is due to identical changes in two branches being
merged.
Specifically, if B and C both make an identical change then the deltas
approach does not report D, since the content is not changed from
either B or C.
But my patch will report D since the ancestry has changed - the
changes at B and C are identical but get distinct revids, which are
then merged in D.

It could be argued that this is even more correct than the deltas
approach.
That certainly sounds convincing to me ;-).

It doesn't seem to happen all that often in real life - the most
likely case I can think of being when two individuals each merge a
patch from a third party that requires conflict resolution, and their
branches are later merged.  It is pretty infrequent, e.g. in NEWS
there seems to be ~10 such cases out of >2000 revs.

And one more minor thing while I think of it - is there a reason
mainline revisions label the revid as "revision-id", while
non-mainline revisions label them "merged"? e.g.

revno: 2402
revision-id: pqm at pqm.ubuntu.com-20070410074302-cf6b95587a1058cd
parent: pqm at pqm.ubuntu.com-20070405073143-8fa894c829ab5e50
parent: andrew.bennetts at canonical.com-20070410072043-5vqutcw42bsml4tl
committer: Canonical.com Patch Queue Manager<pqm at pqm.ubuntu.com>
branch nick: +trunk
timestamp: Tue 2007-04-10 08:43:02 +0100
message:
  (Andrew Bennetts) Split bzrlib/transport/smart.py into several
smaller modules
.
    revno: 2400.1.9
    merged: andrew.bennetts at canonical.com-20070410072043-5vqutcw42bsml4tl
    parent: andrew.bennetts at canonical.com-20070410055415-58qifwhu6xfrb5sr
    committer: Andrew Bennetts <andrew.bennetts at canonical.com>
    branch nick: split-smart-part-1-rename
    timestamp: Tue 2007-04-10 17:20:43 +1000
    message:
      Fix blackbox/test_serve, there were some trivial changes that
needed to be
 brought across from the hpss branch.

I initially found the "merged" label confusing. Did it mean that rev
was merged into this one?
It's not until you use --show-ids and the parents appear that it
becomes clear(ish).
And the "revision-id" is only reported with --show-ids, while "merged"
is always reported.
Is there some logic to this that I'm missing?
I thought the display of the two should be the same - excluding the
indentation of course.

Cheers,
Kent.